Mixing It Up at the Spa
Have you jumped on the baking bandwagon? If you have had enough of sourdough, we have a fabulous – and fabulously easy – banana bread recipe that one of the amazing massage therapists at our Chicago spa found.
The recipe is from Holly at Spend with Pennies and it has a surprising ingredient… mayonnaise! “I know it may sound a little bit strange, but mayo is made with oil and eggs which are basically staple ingredients in any quick bread,” Holly says. Her tip: “Be sure not to overmix or it’ll be dense and chewy instead of soft and moist.”
(BTW she also has a recipe for a Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake. We‘re going to try that next!)
Easy Banana Bread
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 1 hour
TOTAL TIME 1 hour 10 minutes
- 3 medium bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or dressing
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a bowl mix together mashed bananas, mayo and egg. In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and pecans
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture and stir just until combined. Note: The mixture will be very thick, do not over mix
- Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
You really want your bananas to be super ripe. If yours aren’t covered with spots, Holly says, you can ripen them if you, “Quickly bake at 300°F for 15-20 minutes. Cool before using.”
She also says:
- Avoid adding extra bananas, this can make the bread too dense.
- As with all quick breads, do not overmix. Stir just until incorporated.
- Check your bread at least 10 minutes before the bake time is up.
- Line the loaf pan with parchment paper leaving about 3 inches of paper folded over the top of the pan for easy removal.
- To Make Muffins divide over 12 muffin wells and bake 14-18 minutes or just until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake.
Enjoy! Let us know if you make it and what you think. And we’d love to hear about any recipes you’ve discovered during lockdown!
And we want you to know that your friends at Chicago’s Spa Space are thinking of you!